24 October 2008

Negative Advertising: Local Races

So, I tune in on the TV and I hear a political advertisement taking down a local candidate for Iowa State House District 37, on issues that relate to Federal government and Federal public policy and their apparent support for our President, George W. Bush.

I guess all is fair in love and way; and competing in two-party political races?

The local candidate sent me an e-mail stating the following:

The first one went up on Sunday. There was no truth to it. The ad tried to
connect me to Bush's "failed economic plans" and accused me of shipping jobs
overseas, causing the mortgage crisis, Prititizing social
security," etc. The attack was so bad that Senator Grassley called
out the Democrats on O Kay Henderson's blog http://learfield.typepad.com/radioiowa/2008/10/raising-social.html and
even Todd Dorman of the Gazette commented http://24hourdorman.wordpress.com/2008/10/21/grassley-and-i-confused/.

While the candidate is not in my Iowa House District, I have to agree that political campaigns have gotten negative and clearly have resorted to issues and scare tactics that have no relationship to Iowa House district that she is running in.

The candidate in the e-mail went on to say the following:

If anyone questions my positions, have them call me at 431-6150 or to to my
website http://www.reneeschulte.org/ where there is a link on the front page
with the truth.
We need to find a way to bring back the Douglas-Lincoln public conversations. While the Al Smith Foundation Dinner was great humor, it would have been interesting to watch Mr. McCain and Mr. Obama meet in Town Meetings through out the Presidential campaigns, rather than the media driven Presidential Debates.

Of course, lets make sure that we get out and vote. Where do I go to Vote in the State of Iowa on Election Day: November 4, 2008?

We encourage you to gather the information about the candidate and to Vote in the General Election on November 4th!

peace

No comments: